Purple Feet Foundation’s programs help students from urban areas in PA and MD at a pivotal point in their lives. We work to change their expectations, transform their understanding of what is possible and develop a critical support system. In 2010, we proudly launched our flagship program—thinc. We spell think with a “c” because our program is unique. The “c” stands for careers, character, confidence, compassion, choices, college, connect, create, communicate and collaborate.
- Who am I?
- Who do I want to be?
- How will I make a difference in the world?
It’s all about opportunities for children to explore careers and“c”they have choices. Although there is a strong focus on STEM (Science,Technology, Engineering, Math) skills and careers, students are encouraged to pursue their own interests. Some weekly activities include:
- Collaborative technology projects
- Einstein Hour
- Culinary Arts
- Journal writing
- Career spotlights
- College visits
- Swimming, fishing and hovercrafting
We’re seeing positive outcomes.
- Student camper index ratings for future expectations increased following their involvement during the thinc program, especially for those that had lower future expectations coming into the program.
- Those less familiar with those who have exciting jobs, as well as those that scored lower on an index of school engagement during the 2013-14 school year also showed more positive change on the index rating for future engagement.
- Those attending for the second consecutive year showed more positive change on the index rating for future engagement.
Our mission is to achieve real, life-changing impact that only occurs through ongoing support, relationships and meaningful experiences.
Through our partnership with Cabrini College we pair our students with college students who give realistic views of academic challenges, struggles & accomplishments. They connect virtually and in-person throughout the year.
Our students learn from the best in their respective fields through frequent Google Hangouts. They have connected with a Super Bowl champion, magician, senior editor at Marvel Entertainment, author, designer, filmmaker and many more amazing people with equally amazing careers.
To foster community and help build a critical support system we bring the students together on the weekends to explore a rich variety of activities where we expose our students to new possibilities. We’ve built a garden with a landscape designer, visited an apple orchard during the harvest, explored the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and more.